Sligo loves:live music
Free live music events on Thursday 21st June
This Thursday June 21st, Sligo is part of love:live music, Ireland’s celebration of International Music Day with FREE live music events all over the country. Taking in trad, jazz, baroque, choirs, bands, shopping centres, restaurants, pubs and arts venues, Sligo has a great line up of events in a variety of venues including:
- 11:30am Music Generation Sligo Ocean Life – Ocean FM
- 4:45pm Music Generation Sligo Johnston Court Sligo
- 5pm Samboeire: A Samba Soiree Sligo Railway Station, Sligo town
- 6pm Sligo Concert Band Johnston Court, Sligo town
- 6.30pm Sligo Baroque Orchestra The Model, Sligo town
- 7-9pm 4 Bars Later Barbershop Chorus Various: Johnston Court & Source
- 7.30pm Jazz with Jim & Felip Osta Café, Sligo town
- 8pm Blazing Bows €18/15 (20 free tickets) Hawk’s Well Theatre
- 8.30pm Musical Tribute Ceolaras Coleman, Gurteen
- 8.30pm The Odd Couple Source, Sligo town
- 8pm CCÉ Seisiun Teach Morrison, Riverstown
- ThisSideUp! The Swagman, Sligo town
- Fireside Sessions, Song and Music Barrys Public House, Grange
- 9pm Traditional Session McGarrigles, Sligo town
- 9.30pm Traditional Session Foleys Bar, Sligo town
- 10pm Ruby Ridge Hargadons, Sligo town
The Music Generation Sligo team feature and perform live on Ocean Life – Ocean FM to celebrate the successful Discovering Music Programme 2011-2012. Over 2,500 young people have participated since last November. Tune into Ocean FM at 11.30am for live music and fun. The Hawk’s Well event is a great trad concert by Blazing Bows: Cathal Hayden, Dezi Donnelly, Tóla Custy, Ed Boyd and John Joe Kelly. The venue is offering 20 free tickets for Sligo loves:live music. To win just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org saying what instrument is celebrated in this concert. Look out for evening-time ‘pop up’ appearances by 4 Bars Later Barbershop Chorus at various venues in Sligo town such as The Clarence, Johnston Court Shopping Centre, Source and Hargadons.
Sligo is one of the most musical counties in Ireland, with a vibrant music scene and a love of music performances of different types and we are fortunate to have a wealth of professional and community musicians and organisations who play an important part in Sligo’s cultural life. This Thursday, Sligo loves:live music is a day to celebrate our musical tradition and audiences can find out once again just why Sligo is synonymous with great music and musicians.
A newly developed website http://www.sligomusic.ie will go live on Wednesday this week. The website is an initiative of musicians, venues and music organisations with the support of Sligo County & Sligo Borough Council Arts Service and Creative Sligo. The site is primarily designed as a live music listings site with profiles and information on Sligo’s music festivals, events, venues and organisations. So if you’re searching for music in Sligo this summer, check out www.sligomusic.ie and ‘Set your (musical) spirit free’!
Love:live music is a one-day event co-ordinated at a national level by Music Network, in association with RTÉ Lyric FM, and funded by the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and the Arts Council. Sligo’s events are hosted by the Sligo Music Sector with support from Sligo Arts Service with special thanks to all venues, musicians and organisers.